You must arrange transportation to and from the hospital the day of surgery. Someone should be available while you are in surgery, drive you home and stay with you for at least 24 hours after surgery. A parent or legal guardian must remain in the hospital before, during, and after a minor’s surgery.
- Stop taking all blood thinners, aspirin and herbal medication 72 hours prior to your surgery unless your physician or surgeon instructs you differently.
- Do not drink alcohol 24 hours prior to your surgery.
- Notify your surgeon if you develop any illness before surgery (includes skin or urine infection)
- Shower the night before surgery and the morning of surgery with an antibactierial soap such as dial or chlorhexadine. Rinse thoroughly and avoid getting into the eyes. Do not use any other soap, lotion or perfume. This reduces the risk of surgical site infections.
- For children having surgery, please bring the following: a complete change of clothes, empty bottle or sippy cup, a favorite toy, stuffed animal or blanket.
Do Not eat or drink anything starting after midnight the day of surgery!